Troitsky Collider, rented goat and the first matryoshka: the most interesting facts about Troitsky and Novomoskovsky administrative areas

July 6
Culture

Seven years ago, on 1 July 2012, Moscow became bigger by almost 1,500 sq m. Mos.ru tells some interesting facts of settlements in the Troitsky and Novomoskovsky administrative areas.

How two little crocodiles from Germany got to Sergei Obraztsov, who supplied Oleg Yankovsky with fresh milk and who dubbed Ostafyevo as the Russian Parnassus. Let's go into entertaining stories related to the new territories of Moscow.

Babenky toy

Voronovskoye settlement, Babenky village. It was the place where in the second half of the 19th century famous Babenky toy industry was born — a cultural monument, a part of the Golden Toy Fund and the heritage of Russia.

In 1879, the Zemstvo statistics registered 111 people in the Voronovskaya and Krasno-Pakhorskaya volosts engaged in the production of turning toys, and by 1899, the number of crafters had tripled up to 347 people. 40 surrounding villages were engaged in handicrafts. Craftsmen made Easter eggs, balloons, rattles, croquettes, cups, mushrooms, trifles, tub, buckets, barrels, chess, checkers, bingo and sandboxes. They bought wood or harvested it in the forest, mainly aspen, linden, alder, birch and juniper wood. To make some very small and expensive things, they bought in Moscow Karelian birch, palm and other 'African wood species' by weight.

In 1911, in Babenki village, one of the first toy-producing cooperatives in Russia was established, namely Babenky warehouse and consumption association of turning artisans. The handicraft museum, which had cooperated with turners for years, guaranteed them the sale of their products, and the provincial Zemstvo allocated a loan of 700 roubles.

The industry was actively developing. Babenky toys were being sold throughout Russia.

Russian famous matryoshka was carved by Vasily Zvyozdochkin, turner from Shubino village (until 1975, the village was located near Voronovo, later it was abolished), and painted by Sergei Malyutin, Russian artist.

The largest figure imaged as a mother holding a black rooster under her arm, and the last one – a baby. Soon, matryoshka became a symbol of Russian beauty and the most popular souvenir from Russia.

Vasily Zvyozdochkin recalled: "In 1900, I invented a three- and six-part matryoshka. In 1905... in the workshop of the provincial Zemstvo I worked with the artist Marsov. We invent different samples for the exhibition in Italy, in Milan. In 1906, I received a gold medal from Milan."

Since 1924, the artel began to receive orders for export, Babenky toy makers were among the first to earn currency in the country having hard times. In 1926, in the village of Voronovo, a school of artisanal apprenticeship for toy specialists training was arranged, and later, in 1934, it opened the youth Voronovo toy artel, which employed 98 people.

In 1958, Babenky toys were exhibited at the World Exhibition in Brussels, where they received a gold medal. In 1960, the artel became the Podolsk factory of wooden toys, and later, the Babenky factory of turning and polished toys. The factory was in operation until the end of the 1990s.

In 2001, to revive the well-known  Babenky wooden turning and polished toys, children's art school 'Babenky Toys' was opened in Shishkin Les settlement. The Museum of turning toys 'Turner's House' was created. Babenky’s industry is still alive, it has been preserved and transferred to the young crafters.

Ryazanovsky estate named by Pushkin

Alexander Pushkin was the author of the most famous name of the estate in the Troitsky and Novomoskovsky administrative areas. According to the legend, the poet called the lime alley leading deep into the estate park he loved to walk through the 'Russian Parnassus'.

And then it became a name of the whole Vyazemsky — Sheremetevs estate. It is called now Ostafyevo — the Russian Parnassus State Museum Estate. 

It was frequently visited by writers and poets — Nikolai Gogol, Alexander Griboyedov, Denis Davydov and Evgeny Baratynsky, Wilhelm Kuchelbecker and Adam Mickiewicz. Historian Nikolai Karamzin lived in Ostafyevo for almost 12 years — from 1804 to 1815.  He was married to the daughter of the estate’s owner Prince Andrei Vyazemsky, here he wrote his 'History of the Russian State'. In Ostafyevo, Pushkin read his poems created during famous Boldin autumn to Pyotr Vyazemsky. The magic of great poetry has remained here for centuries.

Every year, Astafyevo holds a holiday of Pushkin's poetry. Its indispensable guest is Tatiana Gannibal who has not missed a single holiday within a quarter of a century. According to the Museum Estate’s personnel, Pushkin's descendants who visited the estate in different years said that the place had the spirit of the great Russian poet.

Now it is one of the most beautiful estates in Moscow. Recently, the palace with the wings, open galleries, observation terrace and belvedere, monuments to writers and poets have been renovated. Its restoration is recognized as one of the best.

Pushkin loved this place, and he was loved by its inhabitants. "He lived among us" and "I was born for the peaceful life, for rural quiet..." — these words are carved on his monument in the Park of Ostafyevo — the Russian Parnasus Museum Estate.

The estate cinema fans know very well

The Valuyevo Estate in Filimonkovskoye is a real cinematic place in the Troitsky and Novomoskovsky administrative areas. In the 18th century, it belonged to the scientist grandee count Alexei Musin-Pushkin — the one who discovered the 'The Word about Igor's Regiment’ and the list of 'The Testament of Vladimir Monomakh'.

Since 1960, the estate houses Valuyevo clinical sanatorium.

Scenes and episodes of the most famous Soviet films such as 'Hussar Ballad' (1962), 'War and Peace' (1967), 'Queen of the Gypsies' (1975), 'Timur and His Squad' (1976), 'Mikhail Lomonosov' (1986) and others were shot here. And almost the entire film 'A Hunting Accident' (1978) was shot in Valuyevo. Within one night in this estate, Eugen Doga composed his renowned waltz for the film 'A Hunting Accident', one of the musical masterpieces of the 20th century.

'A Hunting Accident' film shot. Directed by Emil Loteanu. 1978

Filmmakers chose the estate because it had been well preserved, unique and at the same time not as recognizable as, for example, Arkhangelskoye or Ostankino.

As the residents recall, when 'A Hunting Accident' was being shooted, its famous actors lived in the local elementary school. Oleg Yankovsky got to be friends with Valuyevo residents and came to visit them even after the shooting ended, to buy some fresh milk. Kirill Lavrov liked to sit on the river bank. 'Timur and His Squad' film made a Valuyevo goat, rented from local residents, famous.

Near Zhokhovo village in Klyonovskoye settlement, a scene from the karaoke comedy 'Best Day Ever' by director Zhora Kryzhovnikov with Dmitry Nagiyev starring was filmed. In Yakovlevskoye village of Novofyodorovskoye settlement, an episode of the sports drama directed by Yana Polyarush, Tamara Tsotsoriya and Konstantin Kutuyev 'From the Bottom of the Top' was shot. And in the territory of the experimental ring in Shcherbinka there is a wooden railway station, the Cat's House, which has often been filmed, including in a film adaptation of the 'Generation P' novel by Viktor Pelevin.

Major Russian firework division 

Major Russian firework experts serve in Vatutinki. For more than 50 years, it has been housing the famous artillery unit — Marshal of Artillery Mikhalkin 449th separate guards firework division of the Western Military District.

Its soldiers arrange major Russian military rituals with fireworks and artillery salvos on 9 May and 23 February, to honour the inauguration of a President.

The territory of the unit houses the first Russian Museum of Fireworks, there are more than a hundred of weapons ranging from the legendary ZIS-3 to modern multiple launch rocket systems in its collection.

Writers’ villages

In the 20th century, writers’ villages near Moscow were a special phenomenon in our culture. Great writers and poets, actors and directors lived there, befriended, visited each other and arranged children's performances. Peredelkino village, with its construction for writers, poets and artists started in 1934, became a hallmark of Vnukovsky settlement, and the Sovetsky Pisatel village (or Pakhra) was a landmark of Pervomaysky settlement.

There was a cast Mosfilm emblem on the huge gate of the suburban cooperative 'Moscow Writer' in the Lebedev-Kumach Street in Vnukovsky — a reminder that actress Lyubov Orlova and Director Grigory Aleksandrov lived in the house. It was visited by Federico Fellini and Giulietta Masina, Marcello Mastroianni, Sophia Loren, Claudia Cardinale and Jean Marais. Artists that participated in ‘Jolly Fellows’— singer Leonid Utesov, composer Isaac Dunaevsky, poet Vasily Lebedev-Kumach lived nearby.

'Jolly Fellows' film shot. Directed by Grigory Aleksandrov. 1934

The dacha of the actor and director Sergei Obraztsov is one of the well-preserved buildings. There are still a white house with a turret, wooden gazebos, stone sculptures, a pond with a lantern bell, made by Obraztsov. As the family recalls, there were rumours in Vnukovo that Obraztsov had crocodiles in his pond. And even the Communist party delegation came to look for them, but to no avail. Meanwhile, the suspicions were not groundless. During his tour in Germany, Obraztsov met translator Valentina Neven-du Mont. And when she came to Moscow some time later, she had brought him two baby crocodiles in her handbag. According to her, he was happy, but she did not know what happened to them.

Eldar Ryazanov lived for more than half a century in the village of Sovetsky Pisatel (Pakhra) in Pervomayskoye settlement. It was in Pakhra that he wrote his famous poem 'There is no bad weather' walking through the forest on the day when the snow fell on the green foliage.  Verses became a song in his 'Office Romance' film. The film includes a shot of foliage being covered with snow.

'Office Romance' film shot. Directed by Eldar Ryazanov. 1977

Perhaps the Pakhra River is the river that 'moves without moving, made of the moon silver' of the famous 'Moscow Nights' song.  Mikhail Matusovsky, the author of the great words of the song, which became the most performed song in the world listed in the Guinness Book of Records, had lived in the writers’ village on the Pakhra River for many years.

Best BMX cycling track in Russia 

According to international experts, Krasnaya Pakhra has the best in Russia 395 m long BMX cycling track. Here the strongest racers of Russia and Europe compete.

The complex consists of a two-level cycle track (3m high regular start, 7m high super cross start), spectator stands for 200 seats, a two-storey building with a gym, commentator booths and medical office.

Institute that conquered terrible disease 

The vaccine against polio, thanks to which the European region was recognized by the world health organization as free from polio, was developed at the Chumakov Federal Research Centre for research and development of immunobiological drugs of the Russian Academy of Sciences in Moskovsky settlement.

The research and production complex of the Institute of Polio and Viral Encephalitis has been operating since 1955. The vaccine, produced here, was exported to 35 countries of the world. Russian scientists significantly contributed to the fact that in 2002 the European region was certified by the world health organisation as polio-free.

The Institute is now a leading research centre in medical virology, including studies of polio and other enterovirus infections, tick-borne encephalitis, viral haemorrhagic fevers, influenza and viral hepatitis.

Particle accelerator in Troitsk

Troitsk is a science city of Russia housing ten world-famous research centres. In Troitsk many Nobel prize laureates worked such as Abrikosov, Basov, Prokhorov, Frank, Cherenkov, Ginsburg, and world-class scientists such as Velikhov, Vereshchagin, Dykhne, Lobashev, Letokhov and others. Troitsk also boasts its own linear particle accelerator located at the Institute for Nuclear Research of the Russian Academy of Sciences.

The unit itself is a huge metal pipe in which charged hydrogen particles are split into electrons and protons in a special injector. Protons formed into a beam pass through the entire installation.

The developments of Troitsk scientists, made with the help of a collider, will allow to diagnose and treat cancer in the early stages. The proton beam will be applied to the tumour and affect it.

Source: mos.ru

Share
Latest Events

Astana Ballet Performances

September 7

The Room

September 19October 20
If you continue to use our website, you are agreeing to accept the use of cookies on your device. Cookie files ensure the website’s efficiency and help us provide you with the most interesting and relevant information. Read more about cookie files.
Accept ccokies