Temple paintings of the mid-19th century restored in Bryusov Lane

April 28
Culture

Complex restoration of oil painting on facade of the Church of the Resurrection at Uspensky Vrazhek (Bryusov Lane, 15/2, Building 3) has been completed. It is a 17th century suburban church, a landmark building and an object of cultural heritage of federal importance. Mural scene images of its facade depict the evangelist apostles Mark, Matthew, Luke and John, as well as saints revered in Orthodoxy, among which are Justin the Philosopher, Nicholas the Wonderworker, the prophet Elisha and Elijah the prophet.

Chemical-technological, historical-archival and field research were carried out before the works. Yet at this stage, the restorers managed to reveal the fragments of painting, which had been hidden under the layers of paint over for many years. A total of 14 images are in gables - decorative semicircular vaults on the facades.

“The restorers have completed restoration of the monumental painting on the facade of the Church of the Resurrection at Uspensky Vrazhek. In the course of restoration works, specialists strengthened the paint layer and plaster basic layer, removed oil hatches, made up for the loss of soil, and tinted the painting. Now the entire trestle have been removed, and city dwellers may admire the historical paintings. As a next step restoration of interiors will be carries out, ”said Alexei Yemelyanov, head of the Moscow Department of Cultural Heritage,” Alexei Yemelyanov, Head of Moscow Cultural Heritage Department said.

The specialists also strengthened the brick masonry, reinforced the roof structure and replaced its covering. They also restored the white-stone basement of the church, as well as the door and window frames, adjusted the white-stone decoration and renewed gilding on the crosses, set architectural booster-lights and installed a drainage system. Now what remains to be done is to paint the roof.

Among the mural paintings there is a very rare image of St. Justin the Philosopher. It appeared on the wall of the Resurrection Church in a nod to spiritual heritage of the neighboring Church of the Prophet Elisha, dismantled in the period from 1850 to 1865. The throne of Justin the Philosopher from that church was transferred to the Church of the Resurrection, but in the late 1860s - early 1870s it was abolished. And now a fresco on one of the gables serves as a reminder of this historical fact.

The painting of the Resurrection Church also turned out to be associated with the name of the icon painter Dmitry Korin, father of the famous artist Pavel Korin. The images of the four apostles-evangelists are the copies of the sketches signed by him, stocked in the State Museum of Palekh Art.

 

 

After removing layers of oil paint on the pediments of the frater, the composition "The Prophet Elisha with the fiery ascent of the Prophet Elijah" was unveiled. On the northern pediment the restorers managed to reveal the image "Nicholas the Wonderworker saves the Patriarch from drowning." These murals date back to the middle 19th century. They were painted over for unknown reasons. The murals resembling in the manner of their execution the interior painting are distinguished by colorfulness.

The wooden church of the Resurrection at Uspensky Vrazhek first appeared on the plan of Moscow in 1596-1598. The next mention of it was in the chronicle of 1624. It is known that during the great Moscow fire in 1629 the church along with all the houses and buildings in the center of Moscow completely burned down. Then, on the site of the wooden church the construction of a stone one began. In 1816-1820, the frater and the bell tower were rebuilt.

In the second half of the 19th century, the round upper tier of the bell tower decayed and was replaced by a new tier in the eclectic style.

Oil painting of the first half of the 19th century survived to this day. In the church there is also one of the famous Moscow shrines, the icon of the Mother of God "Seeking the Lost" from the destroyed in 1936 the Church of the Nativity of Christ in Palashi.

The photos are provided by the press service of the Moscow Department of Cultural Heritage.

Source: mos.ru

Share
Latest Events

Inna Malikova and New Samotsvety

January 3, 2020
Event finished

Literary saloon

April 2 – 4
If you continue to use our website, you are agreeing to accept the use of cookies on your device. Cookie files ensure the website’s efficiency and help us provide you with the most interesting and relevant information. Read more about cookie files.
Accept ccokies