Significant sites and symbols: the most popular monuments on Recognize Moscow portal

May 3
Culture

To celebrate the International Day for Monuments and Sites, the Recognize Moscow portal prepared a selection of places of interest which are most popular among users. The selection included the Exhibition of Achievements of National Economy Museum and Exhibition Center, Pertsov’s House, Worker and Kolkhoz Woman Monument, Pushkin Memorial.

“Monuments and landmark buildings ranked among the top-5 attracted the most interest among the Recognize Moscow portal users. They include both significant sites already being symbols of the city and less known historical buildings. Over the past three months of this year, their description has been read over 11 thousand times. The interactive map of the Recognize Moscow portal totally includes 660 monuments and over two thousand landmark buildings. The portal offers the history of these sites, their creators, photos, virtual tours and videos, audio tours”, Marina Tavadze, Councellor to Head of Moscow Information Technology Department said.

Fantastic beasts of the revenue house

Former revenue house of the Church of Trinity na Gryazekh known as “house with beasts” (14/3 Chistoprudny Boulevard) ranks first. For the past three months of this year, the information about it was viewed over three thousand times.

The house was built in 1908-1909 upon the project of architect Lev Kravetsky and architectural engineer Pyotr Mikini. It represents a turquoise-colored building decorated with white “lace” bas-relief showing fantastic animals, birds and plants. It is made to the sketch of artist Sergey Vashkov, an apprentice of famous Viktor Vasnetsov. The author copied bas-reliefs of the Cathedral of Saint Demetrius in Vladimir. The house was constructed near the Church of Trinity na Gryazekh, a part of its flats was to be transferred for temporary accommodation of needy believers and the other one — for rent.

In 1945, two more storeys were added to the four-storeyed house. Nowadays, the “house with beasts” is a residential building. Its interiors contain undamaged decorative elements: stairs cages, doors, reliefs under them, molded plafonds in flats.

Characters of Russian fairy-tales on triangular frontons

Pertsov’s revenue house ranks second among the portal users.  Since the beginning of the year, the page of the historical site has been visited about 2700 times.

An art nouveau building, as it were the one from Russian fairy-tales, is located in Kursovy Lane. It was built in 1907 upon the project of artist and architect Sergey Malyutin, author of the first Russian nest doll painting.

Construction of the house took 11 months. Carved stairs, stained-glass windows, niched bedrooms and oriental smoking-rooms appeared in the building.

Pyotr Pertsov himself, by whose order the house was constructed, lived in it for 15 years. He was one of the keepers of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour valuables, stood up for church and was given a five-year prison term in the churchers process in 1922. He was released in a year, but the building had been already nationalized. Nowadays, the house accommodates the Administrative Department of the Diplomatic Corps.

Architectural treasury

The essential part of the top-5 is one of the main symbols of Moscow — the Exhibition of Achievements of National Economy. The description of the Museum and Exhibition Center has been viewed over 2400 times.

VDNKh dates its history back to 1939, when the All-Union Agricultural Exhibition which became a symbol of the Soviet system achievements was opened. Its 136 ha area included 250 structures which reflected the idea of the USSR republics unity. After the Great Patriotic War had been over, the exhibition was reconstructed, and the square with the People's Friendship and Stone Flower Fountains became its new center.

Now, the VDNKh area amounts to more than 325 ha where 49 cultural heritage sites are located. Specialists restored 14 of them to the 80th anniversary of the exhibition in 2019. The People's Friendship, Stone Flower and Golden Ear Fountains, Pavilion No. 71 Atomic Energy, Pavilion No. 34 Cosmos, Pavilion No. 62 Nature Protection and other sites got a new look. The work is underway at 23 VDNKh cultural heritage sites. The restoration of Pavilion No. 2 Popular Education, No. 4 Biology, No. 8 Young Naturalists, No. 35 Tobacco, No. 59 Cereals and others is to be completed in the nearest time.

Cinema symbol

The Worker and Kolkhoz Woman monument has attracted the attention of users over two thousand times. Boris Iofan produced the idea of its creation which was later realized by Vera Mukhina. Originally, the figures of the sculpture were naked in imitation of the Tyrannicides antique statue, but the commission demanded that they should be “dressed”.

The changes were made, and the whole composition was only linked with a decorative scarf which was also demanded to be removed as real kolkhoz women hardly ever wore this accessory. The sculptor insisted, saying that the element was necessary to hold the structure steady.

The piece of monumental art was for the first time presented at the World Exhibition in Paris in 1937. After the exhibition was over, the sculpture was transferred to Moscow where it was installed on a 10-meter pedestal at the VDNKh northern entrance. Since 1948, it has been the official symbol of Mosfilm film studio. The monument was shown in many movies of that time. The musical comedy Tanya shows its bird's eye view and in the film Hello Moscow! the sculpture appears against the background of athletes parade.

Abstracted poet

Pushkin’s monument was among the sites which attracted the most attention of the Recognize Moscow portal users. The page with its description was visited over a thousand times.

The monument was erected on June 6, 1880, on the poet’s birthday. Among special guests at its opening were Ivan Turgenev, Fyodor Dostoevsky and Aleksey Plesheev. Sculptor Aleksandr Opekushin portrayed the poet in deep contemplation: bowed head, hand put under the swallow-tailed coat lapel, frozen step and creative concentration.

The monument was originally erected on Tverskoy Boulevard, but in 1950 it was transferred to Pushkinskaya Square.

“It’s gratifying to see that year by year metropolitans show more interest in Moscow landmark buildings, moreover, of different styles and epochs. Thus, among the landmark buildings which interested the Recognize Moscow portal users were the famous Pashkov House, art nouveau Ryabushinsky Estate, Monument to Minin and Pozharsky, Palace of Averky Kirillov on Bersenevskaya Embankment and Savvinskoe Courtyard”, Aleksey Emelyanov, Head of the Department of Cultural Heritage of Moscow said.

The Recognize Moscow portal is a common initiative of Moscow Departments of Information Technologies, Culture, Cultural Heritage, Education and Science. The interactive city landmarks guide contains images and descriptions of more than two thousand buildings, 662 monuments, and 323 museums. The users can also enjoy over 80 quests and 150 themed routes in different parts of the city.

Source: mos.ru

Share
If you continue to use our website, you are agreeing to accept the use of cookies on your device. Cookie files ensure the website’s efficiency and help us provide you with the most interesting and relevant information. Read more about cookie files.
Accept ccokies