Fyodor Shekhtel's mansion and the house with the knight: the most beautiful buildings with lighting in the Garden Ring

January 6
Culture

The modern Garden Ring is one of the main streets in Moscow’s centre, from where you can get to more than 30 streets, boulevards and squares.

These places played an important role in the city’s life since the 16th century — then, by order of Tsar Boris Godunov, an earthen rampart reinforced with an oak wall was built around Moscow. It defended the capital from the Tatar-Mongols raids. Then, there was the city’s customs border here. In the 18th century, the rampart was partially destroyed, and driveways, squares, markets appeared instead. Nearly all of them were destroyed in the 1812 fire. The post-fire restored space had many front gardens and landscaped boulevards, and in the early 20th century the street was built up with high-rise buildings.

Ring of changes, or history of the Garden Ring from 16th century Skorodom to 21st century observation points

In 2013, the Garden Ring was united by a new concept of architectural and artistic lighting named “Golden Ring”. The lower part of buildings is suffused with usual white light at night, and the upper floors are golden. To create this effect, special filters were installed on the lamps. 263 buildings were equipped with them.

"Architectural and artistic illumination shapes a new look of the city, emphasizes the unique features of each building, creates new places of attraction for citizens. Life in Moscow does not stop after dark, which is largely facilitated by safe illuminated streets and beautifully lighted houses. The illumination of buildings in the Garden Ring is one of the large-scale projects implemented in Moscow’s centre. Today, historical buildings located in the heart of the capital form a single luminous image that attracts attention of Muscovites and guests of the capital," said Vyacheslav Torsunov, Head of the Department of Housing, Utilities of Moscow.

The building of the Moscow Uyezd Council

11, Sadovaya-Sukharevskaya Street

The beautiful four-story building housed two local self-government bodies at different times. Before the revolution, the Moscow Uyezd Zemsky Council was located here, where, after the zemstvo reform of Alexander II, representatives of all social groups were elected based on property and estate qualifications. After 1917, the Moscow Uyezd Council of Workers' and Peasants' Deputies had meetings in the building. At the height of the Civil War, in 1919, Vladimir Lenin spoke there at the 5th Moscow Extraordinary Uyezd Congress of Soviets.

The existing building was entirely reconstructed in 1904 after the project of architect A.D. Stanchik, . One more story was added and the facade was decorated with the image of the 1924 coat of arms of Moscow in 1926. Today, the reception room of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation is located in the four-story building. The building classic facade is still decorated with the coat of arms mentioned above, and in the evening the architectural features are highlighted by illumination of 64 lamps in white and gold.

The first skyscraper in Moscow

19, Sadovaya-Spasskaya Street

The Afremov's tenement house in Sadovaya-Spasskaya Street was considered the first skyscraper in the early 20th century, or, as they said then, the “cloud buster” of Moscow. It was built in 1904-1905 by architect Osip Shishkovsky to become the highest building in the city — eight stories stretched up by about 35 meters. In Soviet times, future scientist and designer of rocket and space systems Sergey Korolyov worked in the house within a group of the jet propulsion research.

Today, the Afremov's house is far from the title of a skyscraper, and this position was taken by other modern buildings. However,more than 360 lighting fixtures are lit here every evening, emphasizing elements of the Art Nouveau facade and organically fitting the house into the overall lighting concept of the Garden Ring.

The Fyodor Shekhtel’s mansion

4, Bolshaya Sadovaya Street, building 1

There is a small two-story mansion of the early 20th century in the even side of Bolshaya Sadovaya Street. Architect Fyodor Shekhtel built it in a record-breaking three months period and lived there with his family for about eight years. In the 1940s, the building housed a nursery, and in the post-war years — an orphanage. From 1957 to 1991, the building belonged to the Committee for State Security. Today, the mansion is a cultural heritage site of regional significance and houses offices of various companies.

The made facade in the Russian neoclassicism style remained unchanged all these years. It is decorated with 22 lighting fixtures, thanks to which the building stands out favorably against the background of the evening city.

A house with a knight

2/12, Sadovaya-Samotechnaya Street

The seven-story tenement building of Anna Shugayeva, the so-called house with a knight, was built in 1914 by architect Vladimir Volokitin. Its owner Sergey Shugayev disposed of six tenement buildings in Moscow, and his wife Anna managed the tenement building located in Sadovaya-Samotechnaya Street. The ground floor housed shops, while the other six were residential. The concept survived to this day: the house is still residential, and the ground floor is occupied by commercial organizations.

The unusual facade with bas-reliefs, winged lions and warriors was also preserved to this day. The house is “guarded” by a sculpture of a knight in armor and with a sword at the level of the sixth floor. At night, 70 white and gold LED lights illuminate the Gothic decor of the building, making it even more mysterious and memorable.

Where to find a knight in Sadovoye Koltso: Shugaeva's revenue house recognized as an architectural landmark

The first Municipal Eye Hospital in Moscow

14/19, Sadovaya-Chernogryazskaya Street

The first municipal eye hospital was opened in Moscow in 1900. Funds for the construction were allocated by famous philanthropist Varvara Alekseeva, therefore the hospital was called Alekseevskaya for a long time. The hospital provided free aid to all those in need, and the children's department was unique both for Russia and Western Europe.

In 1936, the Eye Hospital became the Central Research Institute of Ophthalmology, and in 1948 the center received the today’s name — the Moscow Helmholtz Research Institute of Eye Diseases.

A low yellow building in Sadovaya-Chernogryazskaya Street looks like an old mansion even nowadays. One of the buildings houses the ophthalmological Institute, where future doctors study. The building looks especially impressive in the Moscow twilight, when 53 lamps are lit on the facade.

Bulgakov's house and its “bad apartment”

10, Bolshaya Sadovaya Street

The five-story apartment house of merchant and philanthropist Ilya Pigit, owner of the Dukat tobacco factory, is known today to nearly each Muscovite.

Writer Mikhail Bulgakov lived here in 1921-1924, and it was this building that served as the prototype of house 302-bis, where Woland and his entourage stayed in the “bad apartment” in The Master and Margarita novel.

Today, the building has the status of a cultural heritage site and houses the Mikhail Bulgakov Museum. In the evening twilight, the building becomes even more mysterious and mystical. This is largely facilitated by the architectural and artistic illumination of the building — the Art Nouveau facade with stucco molding and floral ornaments is illuminated by 117 LED lamps.

Source: mos.ru

Share
If you continue to use our website, you are agreeing to accept the use of cookies on your device. Cookie files ensure the website’s efficiency and help us provide you with the most interesting and relevant information. Read more about cookie files.
Accept ccokies