Family Healthcare Centre and century-old hospital: a few facts about Sokolinaya Gora district

October 22
Social sector

Family Healthcare Centre

Cosy leather sofas in well-lit corridors, walls painted pleasant beige, air conditioning, ramps, visual and light signs. It seems to have everything for patients to feel calm and comfortable.

This is what the interiors of the new five-storey women's clinic in Sokolinaya Gora district (49A Izmailovskoye Highway) looks like. It can serve 530 patients in one shift.

Soon there will be cardiac monitoring, ultrasound and phonoelectrocardiography offices, microbiological and clinical diagnostic laboratories, operating and treatment rooms opened. Psychological readiness of would-be parents will also be under control, with a special office of physical and psychological training for childbirth available in the women's clinic. In addition, the clinic will offer parenthood classes.

The women's clinic boasts advanced medical equipment, mammography, ultrasound with high-precision matrix sensors, a mobile unit with an LCD monitor, a computer and a video camera extensible with hysteroscopy and colposcopy equipment. Now, expectant mothers living in the area of Sokolinaya Gora will be able to have a check-up with new professional ultrasound devices not far from home.

But it is not just about the new equipment. Previously, women's clinics were part of the city clinics. Now, thanks to the obstetric network established in Moscow, they have become units of maternity and general hospitals, where physicians can monitor a patient together throughout the pregnancy. Earlier Muscovites had to register with a women's clinic at the place of residence, and in case of any complications they could be sent to a completely different medical institution, and give birth in some other one. Now patients have easy access to the maternity hospital or some expert institution.

As a result, 198,000 Moscow residents can enjoy professional obstetric and gynaecological care services and consult specialists at one facility.

The new women's clinic is easy to get to, as it is located within walking distance of the Women's Clinic No.36 bus stop and Fortunatovskaya stop of trams No. 11, 12, 34.

How Blagushinskaya Hospital turned into Inozemtsev Hospital

The old Moscow Sokolinaya Gora district has seen a lot of changes recently. It used to be a quiet place for royal falconry once to become Moscow's industrial suburb in the 19th century. In the mid-19th century, the famous Izmailovskaya Manufactory opened here. In 1909, it had locomotive workshops of the Moscow-Kazan railway (Moscow-Sortirovochnaya locomotive depot). In 1912, the Gnome-Ron Aircraft Engine Plant (France) started to work on its grounds (now it is Salyut Gas Turbine Research and Production Centre).

The plant's workers needed medical care, so in the late 19th — early 20th century, hospitals began to appear on the site.

The Blagushi village area had brick factories and cheap wooden housing for workers. By the decision of the Moscow County Zemstvo (council) in 1897, the construction of a hospital on the basis of the Izmailovoskaya Factory's dispensary, which occupied a rented house of the Kharkov bourgeois Adolf Zhukovsky, started. In 1901, a new Izmailovo Zemstvo hospital for 20 beds was built, with the Zemstvo's doctor Ksenofon Yazykov being the founder and the first physician. Izmailovskaya Hospital offered treatment of almost all diseases. There was no surgeon at the hospital until 1909. In 1914, the hospital had three or four general practitioners, an ear doctor and a dentist. In 1917, it was renamed Blagushinskaya Hospital.

Over time, the former Blagushinskaya Hospital turned to the Inozemtsev City Clinical Hospital, one of the largest emergency care clinics in Moscow. Today it has 31 departments. The medical facility has a heliport for serious patients delivered by air.

Photo: Press Service of Moscow Mayor and the Moscow Government. Denis Grishkin

The Burn Care Centre annually saves about 1,500 patients, using cutting-edge healthcare innovations. Due to this, the treatment time of even the deepest and most severe skin lesions is on average two times less than the Russian average indicator. The centre is equipped with state-of-the-art devices, including laser equipment, aerotherapy units, electric lifts, operating microscope, skin resurfacing device, rehabilitation equipment, physiotherapy devices and much more.

Inozemtsev Maternity Hospital was awarded the international status of a 'Child-Friendly Hospital' by WHO and UNICEF. To get it, a general or maternity hospital needs to meet the requirements of the 'Ten principles of successful child's feeding'. More than 22,000 hospitals in 157 countries of the world comply with them or strive to do so.

Recently, the hospital has been completely re-equipped, with two medical buildings repaired. This allowed doctors to introduce new, more effective treatments.

From the Desyatiletiya Oktyabrya Unified Dispensary to the City Polyclinic No. 64

The history of one of the best Moscow polyclinics began in an old mansion in Malaya Semyonovskaya Street. In 1927, the Desyatiletiya Oktyabrya Unified Dispensary was opened in building No. 13 in Malaya Semenovskaya Street, which belonged to Prince Golitsyn's peasant Bulashev before the October Revolution. Vvedenskaya Dispensary moved here, too. It had worked since August 1918 and served Blagushe-Lefortovsky district with a population of 50,000 people.

The dispensary employed 16 physicians and a psychiatrist. There was also a women's clinic, a surgical and traumatology department. During the Great Patriotic War, it provided medical care and fought against epidemics.

More than 90 years later, the building was listed as a discovered cultural heritage site, with its restoration design being developed now. Experts believe that this monument, which is part of the ensemble of residential buildings of the Bauman Builder working housing and construction cooperative association, has decorative design typical of the late 19th — early 20th century, that is eclectic style with pseudo-classic elements.

The Desyatiletiya Oktyabrya Unified Dispensary became the base of one of the largest polyclinics in Moscow, City Polyclinic No. 64. Today, the institution has three branches including 24 departments. The clinic services about 180,000 people living in the area of Sokolinaya Gora. It has state-of-the-art equipment, such as digital fluorography, mammography, X-Ray, computed tomography, ultrasound machines with multifunctional sensors, AMBP, EEG and REG.

Infectious Diseases Clinical Hospital No. 2

Infectious Diseases Clinical Hospital No. 2 is another unique medical institution with proud history in Sokolinaya Gora district. Six isolated buildings were constructed near Izmailovskaya Grove on a land plot covering 30 ha. Infectious Diseases Hospital of Sokolinaya Gora for 1,000 beds opened in 1937. During the Great Patriotic War, construction was temporarily suspended, but, despite the enormous difficulties, even in those years, 70,000 patients were provided medical care at the institution. In 1951, the hospital received its current name. In the 1950s and 1960s, it became a major clinical centre for infectious diseases. It employed the leading Russian infectious diseases specialists, namely Full Member of the USSR Academy of Medical Sciences Professor Alexander Bilibin, Corresponding Member of the USSR Academy of Medical Sciences Professor Konstantin Bunin and others.

On 12 May 1955, a maternity hospital for women with tuberculosis was opened at Infectious Diseases Clinical Hospital No. 2. To date, it is the largest Moscow's infectious diseases hospital. There are clinical departments of three Moscow medical educational institutions opened here.

Schools and pre-school groups

Besides new maternity hospitals and polyclinics being built in the area of Sokolinaya Gora, there are some more upcoming facilities ― schools and pre-schools for young residents.

A kindergarten for 205 children will open at 28 Volnaya Street. Nine children groups will have bedrooms and locker rooms, music and sports halls, and an educational room. Children will enjoy a sports ground with a modern coating and walking grounds with shady canopies, fenced off with greenery. There will be lawns and flower beds laid, trees and shrubs planted.

Photo: Press Service of Moscow Mayor and the Moscow Government. Evgeny Samarin

In Borisa Zhigulenkova Street, a 150-seat primary school and a 100-seat pre-school group is under construction. It will have classrooms, a library, sports and assembly halls, spacious classrooms. On-site facilities will include a sports ground and playgrounds. The educational building will be adapted for children with disabilities. Pre-school group graduates will be able to study at the school in the same building.

Source: mos.ru

Share
If you continue to use our website, you are agreeing to accept the use of cookies on your device. Cookie files ensure the website’s efficiency and help us provide you with the most interesting and relevant information. Read more about cookie files.
Accept ccokies